Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hey Friendies,

Last day at home, then I start the LOOOOOONG plane ride and land two days later in Bali. For a little while I'll be a rolling stone, a week of orientation in the country (hello rice paddies), some temple hopping in and a week homestay in Java, and then finally I'll settle down in Bedulu, Bali for 2 1/2 months. I'm finally starting to feel those pro-move jitters I always feel, hoping I'll find people I like in my program (I mean really, what kind of white people choose to go to 3rd world countries :/). Mostly I'm just nervous because I have no idea what my life will look like, how much internet access I'll have, what I'll see when I look outside my window, what kind of house I'll live in. But I'm strangely freeing to have no expectations.

I'm more sure than ever this was the right choice. I feel like after two straight years at Williams, without even a break in summer, I've been constantly running and never taking time to stop and think about myself and who I'm becoming. Not that I don't like who I am now, but so much has changed in the last two years, as Hil was saying, and I feel like I haven't even processed it. I want to get to know myself again, be friends with myself, before I can fully give myself to others.

Its also the first move I've had where I'm going to actively miss people's presence in my life. You guys have become my family, and even though I have faith that we'll be okay even if we don't stay in touch, I'm going to challenge myself to connect with each of you, through letters of this blog or an SMS or skype, at least once every few weeks. My internet access might be sketchy and snail mail is a bitch, but you guys are too important to me not to try.

NEXT POST FROM BALI BALI HAAAI!!!

lovelovelovelove,

Exhibit A

1 comment:

  1. This is the start of something amazing!!! Can't wait to here from you via Bali! <3 Dolce

    ReplyDelete